Thursday, July 19, 2007

Winter Pot Roast

The 1st time that I made this my husband and I had only been married about 2 years and he thought I was the just the best cook ever.In truth I had NEVER touched a raw pot roast let alone cooked itI had no clue what I was doing.I don't even remember where I got the recipe from.
I made a loaf of fresh white bread in my bread machine with it(1st time I had used that too) and it was a HUGE hit.
I still make it pretty much the same as I did that 1st time,always make the bread too.It's become a winter time tradition.

1 4-6 lb beef roast (any cut is fine)
1 bag baby carrots
3 potatoes peeled and cubed
1 large onion chopped
2 cans french onion soup
2 cans water
3 TBSP flour
salt an dpepper

put all veggies and 1 can of soup in a large crock pot
rinse roast and pat dry with paper towels,dust with flour,salt and pepper,
place in a hot skillet with 2 tsp canola oil till all sides are brown.(you're not trying to cook the meat just brown the outside)
put roast on top of veggies in crock pot,add the other can of soup and water.Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hrs,high 6-8 hrs.
Serve with fresh bread

No comments: